Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Photo Gallery: Lonesome Creepy - Victoria at Night



My contentious relationship with the sun was established on a summer day in Kelowna, BC when I was four years old and overheated to the point of having a seizure.  My memory prior to the seizure is vague; we were at the now-shuttered Kelowna Grand Prix "family fun centre" and so all I recall is seeing a row of refrigerator-sized arcade games before the brown patterned carpet rushed up at me.  However, my post-seizure memory - waking up in hospital a tub of ice - is still vivid and I have spent my life since then avoiding the possibility of a repeat performance, and thus the sun, whenever possible.  You could say I'm a bit of a night owl.

While this means I'm useless at the beach and in the early morning, it does allow me to see a different side of the world around me, a perspective my Lonesome Creepy galleries are aimed at capturing.  In this particular batch of photos, I've decided to focus on one particular location - my home of Victoria, BC.  Seeing the city at night has given me a deeper appreciation for a place many people - myself included - dismiss as picturesque but bland.

Many, if not all, of the below photos have appeared on my Instagram feed, albeit in cropped form under the tag #yyjatnight. If you're on IG, please feel free to use that tag and show off your own view of night time in BC's capital.

Click here to find and follow me on Instagram.  

All photos taken with an iPhone 5s





Carmella Court, Lower Cook Street

Between Mason and Pandora, Upper Cook Street

Regent Towers, Michigan Street

Viceroy Apartments, Fairfield Road

Quesnel Street

View Towers, View Street
Parking lot of the Songhees Wellness Centre, Maplebank Road

Robalee Apartments, Helmcken Road

Robalee Apartments, Helmcken Road

Back of First Metropolitan United Church, Quadra Street

Church of the Nazarene, Craigflower Road


Other Lonesome Creepy galleries:

Here, There and Everywhere

Waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment