Monday, June 21, 2010

Give It a Name

You know what bothers me about the internet?  Well, a lot of things, but you know what's near the top of a list that includes Armand White and advertisements offering me physics for my grim, yellow teeth?  Miserable, hairy-knuckled trolls hiding their nastiness behind the internet's warm, huggable cloak of anonymity.  For the last few months I've been waffling over whether or not to continue allowing anonymous comments on this site; after all I receive few enough, and most of them are funny jabs from my very own Topo Gigio (He knows who he is).

All the same, reading this brief article on NPR (will open a new browser window) and a longer piece in the Boston Globe (will open another browser window) has finally swayed my opinion and I've decided to drop anonymous commenting on principle.

I love hearing your opinion, The Internet, but now you've got to own up.  Except you, Topo.  I look forward to seeing comments from reallyBIGshoe@somewhere.com.

And don't worry, faithful readers, I haven't forgotten about you while busily curtailing your freedom.  I've been out of town for a few weeks, but plan on having some new articles up soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment